Monday, December 12, 2011

Step up

So, when my nephew turned one, I thought long and hard about what to get him for his birthday.  It was tough to think of something fun and useful.  I like to give gifts with meaning that last beyond a few uses.   After a lot of bad ideas (drum set, an "I Love My Aunt" onesie) I came up with the idea of painting a step stool for him.  He will turn 6 in February and he uses it all the time.  I made one for his brother and recently made one for his sister as well.  When I was making the one for my niece I decided to make one for Geffen.  Here is what I painted:



So in LA there is one store - ONE - that sells unfinished wood step stools.  It's where I bought my nephew's gift 5 years ago and where I bought this.  As I did with the name sign for Geffen's room I designed the art on my computer, used carbon paper to transfer it onto the stool and hand painted the rest.  Then the clear coat and sanding.  And the clear coat and the sanding.  And the clear coat and the sanding.

Again, I wanted something clean and contemporary.  The possibilities for this project are endless but I am really happy with the finished product.  Geffen's cousin, Tali, got a matching step stool with her name in Hebrew and English.  One day they will each use them to get their parents liquor out of a high shelf or something - that's just fine with me!  (Just don't let my husband read this...)

No comments:

Post a Comment